Soil Respiration 1-Day CO2 Burst Sampling Guide
PDF of information below: Soil Respiration 1-Day CO2 Burst Sampling Guide
Listed here are general guidelines to sample for the Respiration 1-Day CO2 Burst:
If combining Soil Respiration analysis with PLFA, please refer to the PLFA sample submittal instructions and follow those guidelines for submitting one sample for both tests.
- Use a standard soil core sampler, drill corer, or spade to obtain a furrow slice soil sample.
- Take 10-15 cores either 0-6 or 0-8 inches deep. We do not recommend running the Respiration Test on samples taken at alternate depths or sub soils. We can perform the test, but the results will not necessarily reflect the majority of the soil microbial biomass.
- Combine all the cores, preferably in a plastic-lined paper soil bag, to make one composite sample.
- Add all sample identification information you need to the sample bag and ship the samples in a regular box.
- Mark each sample and the shipping container Respiration 1-Day CO2 Burst, or Soil Respiration Test to ensure proper handling on our end.
- Include any paperwork and soil submittal forms that will allow us to identify the customer/grower and the tests desired. If you are a new customer, please also include a physical address, phone number, and email address (if applicable) so we can set up your customer account.
- Samples can be mailed to or dropped off at Ward Laboratories Inc, 4007 Cherry Avenue, Kearney, NE 68847. When mailing samples it is best to send them overnight if the temperatures are very hot.
Additional information is available on the website at www.wardlab.com and new information may be added as it becomes available. Any questions regarding biological/soil health testing may be directed to Lance Gunderson at Lgunderson@wardlab.com.